To a lot of startups, growth is just ads and emails—tactics that occur outside of a company’s digital products. But your product can also become one of the biggest drivers of acquisition, engagement, and retention if you’re utilizing it in the right way.
In order to dive deeper, we assembled a panel of Product-Driven Growth experts to speak to how you can unlock Growth by using your digital product as a driver.
Watch The Full Recording
Akshay Rathod, Founder of Usonia – Akshay is a self-titled nerd who spends his days obsessing over growth systems. In 2018, Akshay founded USONIA, his full-stack growth consultancy. In the years since, companies like Nike, AngelList, Goop, Dia & Co and Buffy have partnered with USONIA and seen the benefits of their data-driven, customer-obsessed and hypothesis-first growth process. Akshay serves as a Growth Advisor to Primary Venture Partners, providing go-to-market growth advice and guidance to the portfolio’s founders.
Sabrina Scandar, Director of Product at Better.com – Sabrina is Director of Product for the Growth Team at Better.com. Previously, she was a Lead Product Manager at Skillshare, where she worked on the core Experience team and then helped to build out the company’s first Growth team. She has 10+ years of Product Management experience in both consumer and B2B web.
Paul Ghio, VP Product at Shutterstock – Paul is a marketplace product leader at the convergence of craft, growth, and distribution. As the Director of Product at Yelp, he enjoys learning about the complexities of new markets, systems, strategies, and tactics. Before joining Yelp, Paul was the VP of Product at Creative Market, a marketplace for designers and creatives, overseeing a team of 17 across product management, analytics, research, and design, which increased Creative Market’s user base by 2077%.
Host: Anish Shah, Founder and CEO of Ruckus – Anish is the CEO & Founder of executive search agency Ruckus. Anish has worked in-house in Growth roles at Snapfish and Getable. He started Bring Ruckus as a Growth consultancy 11 years ago working with 40+ clients, then re-focused his firm on executive recruiting for Growth leaders.
- 5:32 – Paul speaks on how he thinks of growth – First, spotting what type of growth Creative Market needed (GMV) and strategizing from there
- 7:30 – Akshay shares how his growth revolves around customer profitability and how he identified key metrics in his customer journey through a growth audit
- 8:33 – Sabrina speaks on when to start a growth team in your company and why it’s important to not start it too early.
- 10:30 – Akshay shares his experience on how he gadged whether something had product market fit to start growing
- 12:37 – Paul shares how in Creative Market everything that they did was focused around retention
- 14:27 – Sabrina shares the sorts of metrics you can measure retention
- 17:10 – Sabrina shares on methods to measure incrementality of growth via product
- 22:00 – Sabrina shares how you can reframe your focus and goals in pandemic
- 28:22 – Paul shares on the #1 top product feature at Creative Market
- 29:45 – Sabrina shares how Skillshare invested in measures and machine learning which grew retention across the board.
- 31:15 – Akshay shares his favorite product hack and as example shares the experience of a lost dog search company.
- 35:50 : Anish shares an example on how he realized there wasn’t any product market fit via talking to customers
- 38:15 – Sabrina shares how core product teams and growth product teams distinguish themselves according to her experience
- 39:50 – Paul shares experience on different models Creative Market approached growth and product separately
- 41:50 – Akshay compares growth marketing to plumbing. Everything is connected.
- 44:40 – Sabrina shares how they vigorously documented not only what but why everything they worked on at Skillshare
- 46:41 – Akshay shares the biggest retention win and what seemed obvious in retrospective wasn’t at first
- 49:50 – Paul shares about free goods, Creative Market’s golden feature