We sat down with Stara Gipson, Senior Account Manager for Apps Vertical: Gaming at Google to learn about her journey and best practices to be a key liaison between cross-functional teams.
Stara Gipson, Senior Account Manager | Apps Vertical: Gaming at Google – Stara is an analytically minded performance and growth marketing professional striving to be a link between marketing, product, and engineering teams. She is experienced in marketing initiatives to scale products, display ads efficiently, and iterate and improve tools and processes to optimize marketing efforts. Her technical background paired with keen, strategic foresight provides an excellent foundation for working and being a key liaison between cross-functional teams and leading the execution of projects from conception to implementation.
Watch the Full Video
- 0:35 – We learn how Stara started her career and what made her switch to tech.
- 3:46 – Stara tells us about her mentoring experiences and how this has enriched not only others but herself.
- 5:15 – Stara shares how her experience of having a mix of different sized companies has helped when becoming a link between cross-functional teams.
- 6:05 – Stara emphasizes on the importance of keeping that knowledge on how other teams are prioritizing to make sure that initiatives are done across the board.
- 6:50 – Stara shares how technical understanding is important, to have some level of insight in order to create effective project planning.
- 8:29 – Stara shares her best practices when syncing with other teams. Communicating early, transparently and often across functions is really key to getting projects completed successfully.
- 10:33 – Stara shares which are her go to resources to keep updated with industry news.
- 11:30 – Stara advices to find a mentor, regardless of the stage you’re in. It will help you grow your network and continue learning. Always be a student everyone has someone to learn, this industry is changing daily. Lean into it and bring it to the table wherever you are.